701 N C Street
Indianola, Iowa 50125
Year Founded: 1860
President: Dr. Jay Simmons
Simpson College is a four-year, independent, selective, church-affiliated comprehensive liberal arts college located a few miles south of Des Moines,
Iowa, in Indianola. Simpson is dedicated to excellence in higher education, including nurturing values which foster personal worth and individuality
within a creative, diverse and just community, as well as graduating students
who continue to grow as free, responsible and fulfilled individuals
in the world of family, work, service and scholarship. Simpson is dedicated
to the success of each student, however they define it.
Distinctive Facts & Features
- George Washington Carver was accepted to Simpson after being rejected by another college because of his race.
- For more than a decade, Simpson has fielded more teams than any other college or university in the country in the international competition known as
the Mathematical and Interdisciplinary Competition in Modeling.
- Simpson’s Engaged Citizenship Curriculum was designed to equip students with the skills that employers and graduate schools are seeking.
- Simpson’s Debate team won a national title in 2016 and 2018.
- Simpson is affiliated with the United Methodist Church.
- Female: 55%
- Male: 45%
- In-State Students: 81%
- Out of State Students: 19%
- Number of undergraduate majors: 53
Most Popular Majors
- Elementary Education
- Tuition and fees for 2018-19: $39,144
- Room is $4,062
- Board is $4,318
Financial Aid Data
- Students with Demonstrated Financial Need: 80.8%
- Average Financial Aid Package: $29,443.
- Percentage of Parents Need Met (Need-based Aid): 80%
- Student/Faculty Ratio: 11 to 1
- Classes with fewer than 20 students: 50%
- Classes with fewer than 50 students: 99%
- Full-time Faculty: 103 faculty members
- Full-time Faculty with PhD/terminal Degree: 84%
Athletics and Intramural Activities
- Athletics Division: NCAA Division III, Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
- Students Participating in Sports Activities and Intramurals: 62%
- Student Clubs and Organizations: More than 100
Request More Information About Simpson College