812 University St.
Pella, IA 50219
Year Founded: 1853
President: Mr. Mark L. Putnam
Founded in 1853, Central College is a private, residential four-year liberal arts college located in Pella, Iowa.
It is known for its academic rigor, leadership and character development, global experiential learning,
STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) and sustainability education, athletics and service.
The Central College Dutch participate in NCAA Division III athletics and the college is a member of the American Rivers Conference.
Central is an active part of the Greater Des Moines region and is located just minutes from Lake Red Rock, Iowa’s largest lake.
Distinctive Facts & Features
- Students are active in more than 100 clubs and organizations, including women's bowling, men's volleyball, trap shooting, Student Senate and the Dutch Brigade.
- The college offers dozens of academic programs including majors, minors and pre-professional advising.
- Thanks to generous support from donors, Central recently completed a $2.2 million renovation of Douwstra Auditorium, the college's historic concert hall.
- 76% of Central students complete at least one internship or pre-professional experience.
- Approximately 50 percent of Central students study internationally, compared to 10 percent nationally.
- 99% of students receive financial aid of some sort and graduate with debt levels among the lowest of Iowa colleges and universities.
- 99% of students complete an internship, study abroad, or get involved in community service projects while studying at Central.
- Male: 50%
- Female: 50%
- In-State Students: 78%
- Out-of-State: 22%
- Number of Undergraduate Majors: 36
Most Popular Majors
- Business Management
- Exercise Science
- Tuition: $18,600
- Room & Board: $10,280
Financial Aid Data
- Students with Demonstrated Financial Need: 82%
- Average Financial Aid Package: $32,045
- Percent Need Met (Need-based Aid): 83%
- Student/Faculty Ratio: 11 to 1
- Fewer than 20 Students: 70%
- Fewer than 50 Students: 99%
Average class size is 15 people
- Full-time Faculty: 84%
- Full-time Faculty with PhD/terminal Degree: 85%
Athletics and Intramural Activities
- Athletic Division: NCAA Division III, American Rivers Conference
- Students Participating in Sports Activities and Intramurals: 60%
- More than 100 student clubs and organizations
Request More Information About Central College