600 First St SW
Mount Vernon, Iowa 52314
Year Founded: 1853
President: Jonathan Brand
Enrollment: Over 1,000 students
Cornell College, a selective liberal arts college in Mount Vernon, Iowa, is recognized as one of the “Colleges That Change Lives.” Cornell is characterized
by the immersion of its One Course At A Time curriculum, which allows students to focus on a single academic subject for an 18-day block. Since
professors only teach one block at a time, students have more access to professors, and professors can teach students off-campus in whatever venue
best fits the material. There are no slow intros, far-off exams or papers, or gaps between class sessions, mirroring the pace of working environments
where employees are expected to handle tight deadlines and high expectations. With a student body from 47 states and 13 foreign countries, and
renowned visiting speakers, faculty, and entertainers, Cornell offers the world from its hilltop campus.
Distinctive Facts & Features
- Cornell College’s One Course At A Time curriculum takes a distinctive approach to a liberal arts education by offering life-changing immersion in a
single academic subject per academic block.
- Cornell’s STEM space doubled with the opening of Russell Science Center in 2018. West Science Hall was completely renovated in 2018.
- 99% of the Class of 2019 completed their degree in four years.
- 94% of the Class in 2018 are employed or pursuing further education.
- Cornell’s entire campus is on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Male: 52%
- Female: 46%
- Undeclared gender: 2%
- In-state Students: 24%
- Out-of-State Students: 76%
- States represented: 45
- Foreign countries represented: 13
- Domestic students of color: 20%
Most Popular Majors
- Kinesiology-Exercise Science
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Computer Science
- English and Creative Writing
- Business Finance
- Secondary Education Certification
- Tuition: $43,550
- Room & Board: $9,760
- Fees: $546
- Total for 2018-2019: $53,856
Financial Aid Data
- 99.5% of students receive financial assistance.
- Cornell’s financial aid budget for 2019-20 is $27.2 million.
- Faculty-student ratio: 1:12
- Average class size: 14
- All classes capped at 25 students
- 74 full-time faculty
- 99% of faculty hold a doctorate or terminal degree
Athletics and Intramural Activities
- NCAA Division III
- Intercollegiate teams: 19
- 37% of students participate in intercollegiate athletics
- Cornell has nearly 100 clubs and group involvement opportunities, including student organizations, local Greek organizations; academic honor societies,
and intramural teams.
- Cornell’s Mock Trial program, established in 2006, has qualified for the national championship tournament eight times, competing against large state
schools and Ivy League universities.
Request More Information About Cornell College