Why Choose a Private College?
- A greater overall variety of campus communities as well as educational formats and programs from which to choose because of the diverse
selection of the 23 private colleges and universities in Iowa that are part of ICF.
- 96% of students at ICF’s member schools receive financial aid and the average annual amount of this aid is more than $15,000 with $504
million in total aid awarded.
- Although the average published amounts of tuition and fees at private four-year colleges is $31,360, on average students pay less than
- For those students who also qualify for federal, state and local grants, the total grant aid (which does not have to be paid back) at Iowa
private colleges can reach $20,000 or more per student per year.
- 79% of students who received a bachelor’s degree at private, four-year colleges earned it in four years, compared to 49% at public, four-year
colleges which means fewer years of paying tuition and a quicker start at earning a salary.
- 48% of bachelors degrees conferred in Iowa each year are from private colleges and universities.
- Because of the average student-to-faculty ratio of 14-to-1, students are much more likely to actually know their professors and to have
supportive relationships with them, receive prompt feedback on their academic performance and continue discussions of course material
with faculty members outside of class.
- Students have more opportunities to be involved at a private college especially in areas where there would be more competition such as
in varsity level sports.
Browse Member Schools →