610 W 4th Street
Storm Lake, Iowa 50588
Year Founded: 1891
President: Joshua D. Merchant, PhD
Buena Vista University
BVU’s traditional campus on the shores of Storm Lake hosts students in a variety of majors and pre-professional programs, including elementary, secondary,
and special education; business and accounting; and biological and chemical sciences. Our 16 degree-completion locations, online, and graduate programs
expand student potential with a pace and academic rigor designed for working adults and a variety of class formats that make scheduling even more convenient.
With an average scholarship of more than 50 percent off of tuition, BVU is an affordable option for all students.
Distinctive Facts & Features
- Everyone who applies for financial aid at BVU receives it, and 75% of that aid, on average, is scholarships and grants that don’t have to be repaid.
- BVU has zero teaching assistants – it’s all professors!
- Three out of every four students are involved in at least one of our 60+ student organizations and clubs at BVU.
- 229 students participated in internships, experiential, and active learning programs such as research last year.
- 49 student athletes were named to the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference All-Academic Team during the 2016-17 school year.
- Male: 51%
- Female: 49%
- In-State Students: 74%
- Out-of-State Students: 26%
- Number of academic programs: BVU has nearly 90 majors, minors, and other programs.
Most Popular Majors
- Biology/Biomedical Sciences
- Exercise Science
- Criminal Justice
- Elementary Education
- Tuition: $34,004
- Room & Board: $9,538
Financial Aid Data
- BVU's average aid award exceeds $35,000.
- 90% of financial aid applicants in 2016 believed BVU was affordable.
- On average, it costs less for a student to attend BVU than any other school in the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
- Each year, BVU provides approximately $14 million in student financial assistance out of its operating budget.
- Student/Faculty Ratio: 9 to 1
- Average class size: 10-19
- Classes with fewer than 20 students: 76%
- Full-time Faculty: 70%
- Full-time Faculty with PhD/terminal Degree: 80%
Athletics and Intramural Activities
- Athletic Division: BVU is a NCAA Division III school and a member of the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
- Students Participating in Athletics: 46%
- Student Clubs and Organizations: Over 60
Request More Information About Buena Vista University